Manteo, North Carolina is a charming town located on Roanoke Island, just off the coast of the mainland. It’s a popular destination for tourists who are looking for a laid-back atmosphere, beautiful scenery, and plenty of outdoor activities. Whether you’re visiting for a weekend or a week, here are some things you won’t want to miss during your stay in Manteo.
- Visit the Roanoke Island Festival Park: This park is a must-visit for anyone interested in the history of the area. It features a replica of a 16th-century ship, a Native American village, and exhibits on the early English settlement of the island. There’s also a theater that hosts live performances and concerts throughout the year.
- Explore the Elizabethan Gardens: These beautiful gardens are located next to the Roanoke Island Festival Park and are home to a wide variety of native plants and flowers. The gardens are also home to a replica of the Queen Elizabeth I statue that stands in London’s Trinity Square.
- Take a walking tour of historic downtown Manteo: This charming area is full of quaint shops, art galleries, and restaurants. You can also visit the Dare County Arts Council, which hosts exhibitions of local artists.
- Visit the North Carolina Aquarium on Roanoke Island: This aquarium features exhibits on the marine life of the area, including sea turtles, sharks, and rays. There’s also a touch tank where you can interact with some of the animals.
- Take a sunset cruise: There’s nothing quite like watching the sun set over the water, and there are several companies in Manteo that offer sunset cruises. You can choose from a variety of boats, including sailboats and catamarans.
- Go fishing: Manteo and the Outer Banks is world famous for sport-fishing fishing, and there are several charter boats that offer full or half day charters. You can try your hand at catching mahi-mahi, tuna, and the prize blue marlin.
- Visit the beach!: Manteo is located just a short drive from all the world-class Outer Banks beaches, a long chain of barrier islands that offer miles of pristine beach and plenty of outdoor activities. You can go surfing, swimming, or just relax on the beach.
- Attend a local event: Manteo is home to several annual events, including the Dare Day Festival and the Outer Banks Bluegrass Festival. Check the local events calendar to see what’s happening during your visit.
Whether you’re interested in history, nature, or just relaxing by the water, Manteo has something for everyone. With its laid-back atmosphere and beautiful scenery, it’s the perfect destination for a weekend getaway or a longer vacation.